Monday, September 17, 2018

Divine Proportion

Φ PHI


THE TITLE OF THIS PAINTING IS SIMPLY Φ


This symbol is known as Phi the 21st letter of the Greek Alphabet in Math and Science it is commonly known as the Golden Ratio. 

Other popular names for this symbol are The Sacred Cut, The Golden Section, and Divine Proportion.

   
 When my daughter was very young I was blessed to be a stay at home mom this required much sacrifice including an extremely tight budget.  I often took her to the bookstore to play and read to her. I would find many books I loved to read but could rarely afford to buy any for myself. "Divine" intervention like the book itself good luck graced my path. I found a wonderful book titled Divine Proportion it just so happened to be on an amazing sale only a few dollars.



     I read and re-read this awesome book it discussed Phi in Art, Nature, Science, Math, Music, Architecture, even Mysticism and Religion. It inspired me to paint my first intentional depiction of this fabulous symbol.  My first challenge was dividing the canvas in it's Divine Proportions the book had taught me a method using circles and intersecting points this was how I practice in sketch but when the time arrived to attempt the painting I had chosen a fairly large canvas (24"/20") finding a compass that big was out of the question so after pondering I decided to craft one from sticks in the yard.  It worked perfectly.  I then used it to divide the canvas into it's Divine Proportions every angle possible. 

     The painting itself is a Mandala of sorts (another amazing bookstore score Tibetan Mandala $1).  The colors symbolic of many things inspired by both Buddhism and the Native American Medicine Wheel.  The Spiral of Archimedes and multiple Equiangular Spirals are examples of Phi.  As well as the smaller fractal pattern spirals.

     This painting has continued to bring me peace, great happiness, a focal point for meditation, inspiration, and many long hours of deep thought.  I hope you enjoy it as well.





Thank you and have a Blessed Day

No comments:

Post a Comment